First up are toxics found in (non-Organic) packaged and processed foods.
Most of us know or have heard that ‘processed foods are bad’. But a 2019 study from the Environmental Working Group shed new light as to why they are bad. The report cited well over 2,000 synthetic chemicals in non-organic packaged foods.1
One saving grace in all of this: U.S. Organic standards strictly prohibit the use of synthetic chemicals – less than 40 may be used in USDA Organic packaged products. That’s a far cry from the 2,000+ chemicals allowed in conventional products.
- Undurraga, D., Leiba, N., Benesh, M., et al. (2019, March). Organic: The Original Clean Food. In Packaged Foods, ‘Organic’ Not Only Bans Toxic Pesticides but Thousands of Added Chemicals. Retrieved from EWG URL
- Kindy, K. (2014, August). Food additives on the rise as FDA scrutiny wanes. Retrieved from Washington Post URL
- Consumer Reports Press Release (2014, January). Consumer Reports tests show consumers unnecessarily exposed to potential cancer risk in many soft drinks. Retrieved from Consumer Reports URL
- Johnson, J.D., Ryan, J.D., Toft, S.W, et al. J. Agric. Food Chem.2000, 48, 8, 3620-3632. “Two-Year Toxicity and Carcinogenicity Study of Methyleugenol in F344/N Rats and B6C3F1 Mice”. Retrieved from URL
- Frack, L., Sutton, B. (2010, February). 3,163 ingredients hide behind the word “fragrance”. Retrieved from EWG URL
- Djenane, D.,Roncales, P. (2018, January). Foods 2018, 7(2), 12; “Carbon Monoxide in Meat and Fish Packaging: Advantages and Limits” Retrieved from doi: 10.3390/foods7020012
- EPA “Technical Fact Sheet – Perchlorate” Retrieved from EPA URL
Healthy Anywhere helps executive travelers enjoy delicious, organic foods, and stay healthy, anywhere in the U.S. Our healthy concierge services include: travel nutrition and meal planning, food delivery, fitness support, and accountability. If you or someone you know would appreciate this level of support, get in touch to work with us.
Eat Clean + Breathe Deep + Move Often = Never Settle™